Best Hawaii Preschools | The 2022 Guide
If you are planning a move to the paradisiacal state of Hawaii, the list of upsides are endless. However, parents with children in the preschool – elementary age range are more than anything else, concerned by the schooling system and the quality of education available for their children. The best preschools in Hawaii are private schools. Financial aid plays a big role in most parents’ decision-making process since the annual school fees at the best Hawaii preschools can be steep.
Student to teacher ratio is an important consideration in every learning environment. It determines the attention and care that each child will get within any institution. The best pre-schools & elementary schools in Hawaii have prioritized this and other factors that provide the ideal teaching and learning conditions to ensure your child gets the best possible education.
The Best Hawaii Preschools Include:
St. Patrick School
The goal of St. Patrick School is to teach children while exemplifying the Eucharistic spirituality of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary through both speech and deed. By cultivating attitudes of compassion and forgiveness, St. Patrick School encourages kids to emulate Jesus and Mary. Through group initiatives that advance the common good, the school encourages students to make the world a better place. The teaching methodology used by the faculty and staff emphasizes cooperative learning, positive reinforcement, and learning-supportive behavior.
Name of School: St. Patrick School
Grades taught: PK-8
Student to teacher ratio: 11:1
Address: 3320 Harding Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Tel: (808) 734-8979
Kaimuki Christian School
In a setting that is stimulating, caring, and secure, KCS works hard to uphold its spirit of “ohana” across all grade levels and to represent God’s love for each of his individual children.
Name of School: Kaimuki Christian School
Grades taught: NS/Preschool – 12
Student to teacher ratio: 14:1
Address: 1117 Koko Head Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Tel: (808) 732-1781
Kauai Christian Academy
The mission of Kauai Christian Academy is to offer the families of Kauai a Christ-focused education that is academically exceptional. In a safe, nurturing environment that results in exceptional students, Kauai Christian Academy encourages the hearts and minds of children in pre-school through 12th grade with an alignment of truth and love. The school is located on a lovely 10 acre campus on the way to the picturesque Kilauea Lighthouse.
Name of School: Kauai Christian Academy
Grades taught: PK-12
Student to teacher ratio: 13:1
Address: 4000 Kilauea Rd
Kilauea, HI 96754
Tel: (808) 828-0047
Hongwanji Mission School
Hongwanji Mission School was Founded in 1949. It is one of the best preschools in Hawaii. Hongwanji Mission School is relatively easy to enroll your child in since it has a high acceptance rate of 85 percent.
The school includes prekindergarten grades, offers summer classes, and includes co-curricular activities that make it the best for children who wish to take up sports. Our preschool and prekindergarten setting offers plenty of chances for the kids to play together and socialize while they learn about english literature, math, science, and social studies. The topics being studied are reinforced through the integration of practical tasks. In addition, the kids go to Buddhist Education once a week and to music, the library, physical education, swimming, and Japanese resource sessions twice a week.
Name of School: Hongwanji Mission School
Ages taught: PK-8
Student-to-teacher ratio: 18:1
Address: 1728 Pali Highway, Honolulu, HI 96813
Tel: (808) 532-0521
Sacred Hearts Academy
Sacred Hearts Academy was founded in 1908. The all-girls institution is among the best schools in Hawaii. The school is affiliated with the Roman Catholic church and is built around Christian values. Sacred Hearts Academy has a superb teaching staff and follows an impressive curriculum. It boasts a highly credible visual and performing arts program. The catholic school also offers children the unique opportunity to achieve great social and academic development
Name of School: Sacred Hearts Academy
Grades taught: NS/PK-12
Student-Teacher Ratio: 21:1
Address: 3253 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
Tel: (808) 734-5058
Funding For Tuition
Even though Hawaii is among 12 states in the U.S. not providing state-subsidized preschool for all of its children, it does offer funding for:
- Special-education preschool to assist children aged between three to five years with disabilities
- Early intervention services for children under the age of three years with special health needs.
For children that do not meet the requirements for the above-mentioned services but come from low-income families, you can access other numerous financial assistance programs available to those who meet the criteria as stated:
- Child Care Connection Hawaii (CCCH) – provides financial assistance through Hawaii’s Department of Human Services. For eligibility, your gross monthly income cannot surpass the set amount.
- A family of two needs to earn a maximum amount of $3,179 to qualify.
- A family of three needs to earn a maximum amount of $3,927 to qualify.
- A family of four needs to earn a maximum amount of $4,675 to qualify.
- A family of five needs to earn a maximum amount of $5,423 to qualify.
- Preschool Open Doors (POD) – POD offers Subsidized preschool for children aged four years (and three-year-olds with special needs). It features the same income requirements as the Child Care Connection Hawaii program. Open enrollment happens during a limited window in spring. For more information, call 808-791-2130 (Oahu) or 1-800-746-5620 (neighbor islands).
- Early Head Start – Funded by the federal government and serves preschoolers aged between zero to three years(Early Head Start) and three to five years (Head Start):
- Oahu: Parents And Children Together (PACT), Honolulu Community Action Program (HCAP) (Head Start only)
- Big Island: Family Support Services West Hawaii (FSSWH) (Early Head Start and infant/toddler center), Hawaii County Economic Opportunity Council (HCEOC) (Head Start only)
- Kauai: Child & Family Service (Head Start only)
- Maui, Molokai & Lanai: Maui Family Support Services (MFSS) (Early Head Start only), Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc. (MEO) (Head Start program and infant/toddler center)
Choosing the Right Preschool for Your Children
In addition to its great preschool system, Hawaii is also culturally inclined to afford your child the best environment to develop and achieve their full potential. The top institutions of preschool learning in Hawaii are not only staffed with highly certified staff but also placed in ideal locations to ensure the best environment for the learning and development of young minds. The community also has numerous programs in place to ensure families in need of financial aid are assisted and every child gets an opportunity to access education.