Moving to Hawaii Kai: The Ultimate Guide
Posted at 07 Jun 17:45h in Uncategorized 0 Comments
Located 10 miles east of Honolulu is the community of Hawaii Kai. Hawaii Kai means community by the sea. Real estate in Hawaii Kai started developing in the 1960s. The planned community is one of Oahu’s wealthiest zip codes.
Outdoor RecreationPreservation has always been a top priority at Hawaii Kai and residents living in Hawaii Kai benefit from it with a community that offers a variety of outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, surfing, biking, snorkeling and boating.
- Hawaii Kai Golf Course. 8902 Kalanianaole Highway. Hawaii Kai Golf Course offers two courses. They have a Champion Course and Executive Course Par 3 course. Both courses offer challenging elevation changes, ocean views, and dogleg holes. The facility also includes a driving range, pro shop, restaurant, and event space for up to 160 guests.
Beaches and Parks
- Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve. 100 Hanauma Bay Road. Protection and preservation efforts have help safeguard the bay’s fragile marine life. A great place to view marine life.
- Haha’ione Neighborhood Park. 663 Pepeekeo Street. Tucked in the valley the park is adjacent to the elementary school with plenty of playground equipment.
- Hawaii Kai Dog Park. 333 Keahole Street. Your four-legged family member will love this well-maintained park. Designed areas for both small and big dogs.
- 7750 Hawaii Kai Drive. This park offers an abundance of activities including a skate park, roller rink, basketball court, playground area, tennis courts, and plenty of open field space.
- Koko Head District Park. 423 Kaumakani Street. You’ll find courts for tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton, along with facilities that provide regular classes of all kinds. This park services hikers taking on the famous Koko Head Trail, better known as the Koko Head Stairs. The “steps” are actually railroad ties and provides a challenge to hikers. But the climb is worth it, once hikers reach the top, they are treated to beautiful views of Koko Crater, Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head, and the Windward coast.
- Koko Kai Beach Mini Park. 10 Hanapepe Place. There is not sandy beach or water access at this beach but it’s a great spot for fishing and relaxing.
- Kuliouou Beach Park. 96 Bay Street. Spacious beach with plenty of shaded picnic areas. The shallow beach isn’t great for swimming but there is lots of green space, a basketball court, clean bathrooms, and plenty of parking.
- China Walls. Park at Koko Kai Beach Mini Park. China Walls is for advanced surfers only. Challenging surfing with heavy wave wedges off a rock wall and incredible views. If you don’t surf you can still spectate and enjoy the scenery.
- Sandy’s Beach. Park at Sandy Beach Park. Located at the base of Koko Crater. An extreme shore break with rocks and strong currents is for advanced surfers only.
Local DiningHawaii Kai living offers you a variety of restaurants to choose from for whatever you’re craving. Many restaurants offer a waterfront view.
- Assaggio Ristorante Italiano. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway, Ste D107. This sit down Italian restaurant is a real dinning treat.
- Greek Marina. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway. Open daily for dinner enjoy Greek classics such as gyros, falafel plate, or classic Greek salad. Restaurant overlooks the Hawaii Kai waters.
- Hi Pho. 377 Keahole Street, Ste C3. Vietnamese restaurant serving popular dishes such as noodle soup, spring rolls, and pho for lunch and dinner.
- Island Brew Coffeehouse. 377 Keahole St. Mix of local and specialty coffee. Freshly made food is served daily for breakfast and lunch.
- Kona Brewing Company. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway. Founded in 1994, Kona Brewing Company’s waterfront restaurant has space to park your boat and features American eats along with Hawaiian fusion dishes.
- Maile’s Thai Bistro. 333 Keahole Street, Ste 2B8. Thai fusion restaurant serving pad Thai, spring rolls, curry, coconut ice cream, and more.
- Moena Café. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway. Located in Koko Marina Shopping Center the café serves delicious brunch dishes daily until 2 p.m.
- Pa‘ina Cafe. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway. Home of the original poke bowl and a great place to grab a quick sandwich, salad, juice, smoothie, or an acai bowl.
- Roy’s Hawaii Kai. 6600 Kalanianaole Highway. Hawaiian, seafood, and Asian fusion make unique and delicious dishes. A mix of tiki torches, a koi pond, lush greenery, and ocean view makes Roy’s a true Hawaiian experience.
- Sophie’s Gourmet Hawaiian Pizzeria. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway, Ste D100A. Located in the Koko Marina Center, the pizzeria serves made-to-order pizza with gourmet options.
Living in Hawaii Kai residents have several shopping centers within a quick walk, bike or drive.
- Koko Marina Center. 7192 Kalanianaole Highway. Enjoy more than 70 shops, restaurants, boutique stores, and even a movie theater. A mix of stores with national and local brands.
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center. 333 Keahole Street. Numerous services, eateris, and restaurants as well, providing almost anything you’d need from hair salons, insurance companies, and other businesses. Costco, Ross, GameStop, City Mill and more are available in this shopping center with plenty of parking. For local flare try the weekly farmer’s market.
- Hawaii Kai Shopping Center. 377 Keahole Street. This shopping center provides convenience for daily living including Safeway, Longs Drugs, a gas station, bank, restaurants, and local shops.
SchoolsStudents living in Hawaii Kai have access to one high school, one middle school and three elementary schools.
- Henry J. Kaiser High (Public) 511 Lunalilo Home Road; Honolulu, Hawaii 96825
- Niu Valley Middle (Public) 310 Halemaumau Street; Honolulu, Hawaii 96821
- Aina Haina Elementary (Public) 801 W. Hind Drive; Honolulu, Hawaii 96821
- Hahaione Elementary (Public) 595 Pepeekeo Street; Honolulu, Hawaii 96825
- Kamiloiki Elementary (Public) 7788 Hawaii Kai Drive; Honolulu, Hawaii 96825
If you are considering real estate in Hawaii Kai we can help. Our team of experts is familiar with the area and what the community has to offer. Contact us today to learn more about Hawaii Kai living.